What are the legal responsibilities of social Networks and platforms?
What exactly needs to be solved?
What needs to be solved in Social media is the amount of Terrible, awful content people are putting on the platforms such as TikTok, Instagram and Snapchat. This can be solved by the Laws of these platforms, People who post these horrible videos need to be reported so the police can investigat- e who this person is,They also need to set up these devices that can hack into that person’s account and find out more information about them.
What needs to be changed?
Social Media needs to be changed by the amount of laws that are being created, new laws need to be proposed in Social media platforms whether it is the content people are posting or the type of content people are posting because it can be inappropriate, offensive and disturbing to others.
How does this problem affect people in the community?
Multiple studies have found a strong link between heavy social media and an increased risk for depression, anxiety, loneliness, self-harm, and even suicidal thoughts. Social media may promote negative experiences such as: Inadequacy about your life or appearance.
On Instagram in Australia people have taken down the number of likes people are getting because it just shows how many likes you have and it affects people by saying to themselves that there not good enough and take the post down
What is the context?
Social Media started in 2004
Social Platforms include:
Instagram – 6th october 2010, Kevin Systrom, San Francisco,
Facebook – February 2004, Mark Zuckerberg, Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
Snapchat – September 16, 2011, Evan Spiegel / Bobby Murphy / Reggie Brown, Santa Monica, California.
TikTok – September 2016, Zhang Yiming, China
Youtube – 14 February 2005, Jawed Karim / Steve Chen / Chad Hurley, San Mateo, California, United States
Pinterest – January 2010, Ben Silbermann / Evan Sharp / Paul Sciarra, San Francisco, California, United States
Over 3.5 billion people use Social Media around the world
Social media may promote some negative experiences such as
– Depression and anxiety
What are the different components of this problem?
Social media platforms
Legal responsibilities of social media
– What you post on social media is always there
– You cannot make false, misleading or deceptive claims
– Cyberbullying can lead to suicidal thoughts e.g. Dolly Everett
– Rights and responsibilities of social media
– There to protect businesses, people’s privacy
– Criminal activity
– Fake accounts
– Reputation damage
Explain the problem in your own words.
In our opinion we believe that social media in today’s day and age has a negative impact on our world. Social media founders have reputations and expectations that are expected of all users. They have guidelines and rules that are outlined in the terms and conditions, if not followed there are consequences.
Research, gather and analyse as much knowledge and information about the problem as you can.?
Instagram terms and conditions
Must be 13 years old
Do not post inappropriate photos (nudes, partially nudes, sexulity suggestive)
You are responsible for keeping you password secure
You must not abuse, harass, threaten, impersonate or intimidate other Instagram users.
What is causing the problem?
The more time teenagers spend on social media can lead to cyberbullying, social anxiety, depression, and exposure to content such as explicit photos or videos that is not age appropriate. When teenagers are socially connected to others it can ease stress, anxiety and depression, boost self worth, provide comfort, and joy. However it causes bad effects when having a strong social connection as this can lack communication in person and cause a serious risk to mental health and emotional health.
Why do we need to solve it?
The reason we have to solve this problem as it is affecting teenagers’ mental health. Teenagers think it is ok to post explicit and inappropriate photos this can lead to
Have others tried to solve it? How?
Mark Zuckberg once tried to solve the problem of social media by fixing the harassing behaviour on the platform
Kids help line is always out to always help kids who have mental issues with social media. Kids who have been cyberbullied before and provide them with care.
How is this solved in different countries?
Germany’s NetzDG law came into effect at the beginning of 2018, applying to companies with more than two million registered users in the country.They were forced to set up procedures to review complaints about content they were hosting, remove anything that was clearly illegal within 24 hours and publish updates every six months about how they were doing.
In 2015, the Enhancing Online Safety Act created an eSafety Commissioner with the power to demand that social media companies take down harassing or abusive posts.
The country with highest cyberbullying awareness is Sweden, with 91 percent of respondents they knew about the ongoing occurrence of cyberbullying.
Can we combine or improve existing solutions?
Yes we can by proving Mark Zuckerburg and our theory the solution works together
How will you create a solution?
- We are going to create a solution by using information from previous solutions and with our pure knowledge of the subject we are working on. Just like Mark Zukberg said he was going to fix the mean and Harassing comments people are creating on others posts
What is your solution?
- Our solution is creating an option on social media platforms that reports inappropriate accounts and establishing a positive culture where reporting isn’t a bad thing.
- When we see an inappropriate comment or post that people have made, the immediate reaction will be to report it for it to come down if it is affecting someone’s mental health.
How will it work?
This solution would work if we get people who are willing to support and help us report and keep these a secret. People will not say it to others that they have seen or reported them.
Why will it work?
- Our solution will work because it will help the social media platforms terms and conditions remain in place and help teenagers with their mental health. By seeing bad inappropriate comments it can affect people’s mental health so by reporting any inappropriate comments, or posts can change someone’s life as little things like this can affect someone’s mental health and cause depression, anxiety and suicidal thoughts.
How can you test this solution?
- We can test this solution by commenting on someone’s post or posting an image and seeing who is the first to report it and how long it will take them to report it. From this we can see if this person won’t tell anyone as it will help the people who reported the person not get cyber bullied or bullied in general.
Can you re-design and make it better
- We will first test this solution and see if it works if it isn’t successful, We will then re-work on it to see if we can make it more successful and get more people on board.